There are many fun activities for children of all ages this Halloween. This year Halloween falls on Wednesday 31st October and most events for children start during the half term break from 29 October to Friday 2 November 2011.
If you are organising an event for Halloween be sure to tell us about it so that we can add it to the list.
Note – some events listed here are for older children.
Halloween Big Draw at Hylands House
- Monday 29th October 2012, 11am – 3pm. No need to book but places may have to be limited at busy times. £2
- Venture down into the corridors below Hylands House to see what awaits you! We want children to feel free to create wonderful images using coloured crayons, pencils, felt pens, chalks.
Shriek Week Late Night Openings at Colchester Zoo
From October 27th to November 4th 2012.
The darkness is coming… Enjoy our annual daytime halloween themed events, spooky feeds and displays taking place throughout half-term!
- Venue: Colchester Zoo, Maldon Road, Stanway, Colchester, Essex CO3 0SL
- Tel: 01206 331292
Events are given a “Witchy Rating” that gives an idea of scariness. See the Shriek Week Timetable! on the Colchester Zoo website for full details.
Shriek Week Fright Nights! – Colchester Zoo
For older children and brave adults there is Shriek Week Fright Nights! Displays start from 4.30pm and go until close. The park will be open until 21:30 with last admissions at 20:00.
Halloween Festival at Old MacDonald’s Farm
Halloween Half Term fun created by Mary Martin from Artbound. There is also a Scooby-Doo special event on Sunday 28th October.
- Saturday 27th October to Sunday 4th November
- This Autumn Half Term we have a whole week of spooktacular events at our Halloween Festival so don’t miss out! Book online HERE to get a discounted entrance fee.
- Old MacDonald’s Farm, Weald Road, South Weald, Brentwood, Essex, CM14 5AY
- Contact: 01277 375177
- Web: www.omdfarm.co.uk
Marsh Farm - Wizards and Witches
This spooktober get in the Halloween mood at Marsh Farm. Meet a magical wizard, carve a pumpkin, take part in the spooky halloween quiz, be spellbound by the witches story in the log cabin! FREE Spell Bags to all kids who go in fancy dress.
- Sat, 27/10/2012 - Sun, 04/11/2012
- 10:00am until 5pm
- Marsh Farm Country Park, Marsh Farm Road, South Woodham Ferrers, Essex, CM3 5WP
- Tel: Call 01245 321552 for booking and prices
- Web: www.marshfarmcountrypark.co.uk
Haunted Hedingham at Hedingham Castle
- 29th October – 31st October
- How brave are you? Do you dare to attempt Hedingham’s haunted walk? Can you make it round without waking the resident ghosts and ghouls? Will the scares be too much? This is not for the faint hearted. Meet up with other survivors in the Keep for our true ghost stories.
- Tel: 01787 460261
- Admission: Adults £10.00, Children £ 8.00 - Price includes a glass of mulled wine or a soft drink.
- Hedingham Castle, Bayley Street, Castle Hedingham, Essex, C09 3DJ
Children’s Pumpkin Carving at Hyde Hall Gardens
Have fun carving pumpkins, making witch-shaped candles and listening to spooky stories. Come in fancy dress and receive a treat. Pumpkins available for sale at the garden (while stocks last). Normal garden admission applies. Booking not required.
- Saturday 27 October 2012
- Hyde Hall, Westerns Approach, Rettendon, Chelmsford CM3 8AT
- Between 10 am & 3pm
- Tel. 0845 612 1253
Fright Night at Weald Country Park, Brentwood
- 27th October 2012
- A night walk through Weald Country Park with a truly spooky twist, no torches, no dogs. Not suitable for under 7′s.
- Booking essential
- Contact: 01277 261343
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Weald Country Park, Weald Road, South Weald, Essex
Halloween Super Sleuthing - Colchester Highwoods Visitor Centre
- Friday 26th October 2012, 7.30pm – 8.00pm (varying start times).
- Could you be a supernatural super sleuth? Now is your chance to find out in the atmospheric setting of the Park at night!
- Booking is essential. Teams of 4 -10 people. Not suitable for young children. Bring a torch and mobile phone. The trail will take approximately 1 hour.
- Tickets: VIC,1 Queen Street, Colchester, CO1 2PG. Or by telephone: 01206 282920.
Halloween Fright Night Tours - Mountfitchet Castle
- 26th October 2012 – 31st October 2012, 6pm to 10pm
- Come to Mountfitchet Castle’s famous Halloween tours held during the most haunted time of the year when the evil spirits and tormented souls will be rising from their graves within the grounds of this historic medieval village where many terrible and horrific events have taken place over the years….
- The children’s tours are at 6.00pm and 6.30pm each night. £14.50 (8-13yrs incl)
- Dedicated website www.hillofhorrors.com/hill-of-horrors-2012/
- Tickets from 01279 813237 or from the visitor centre.
Cursed! at Cressing Temple
Essex’s No. 1 Halloween Event. Cursed is a Halloween scare event that provides the ultimate scare experience. Visitors will journey through a series of themed mazes encountering various characters lurking in the dark. A mixture of special effects and live performers will ensure that visitors are scared witless. Cursed returns this October for its fourth year as the ultimate horror destination in Essex.
- Friday 26th October 2012, Saturday 27th October 2012, Tuesday 30th October 2012 and Wednesday 31st October 2012.
- Time: 6:30pm until 10:00pm , every 15 minutes
- Not suitable for under-12s!!
- WARNING: “Cursed is an event aimed to scare, it is not suitable for under 12′s, pregnant or people with a nervous disposition.”
- Cost: £5.50 per child. *small additional charge.
- For more information or to book call 0845 603 7624.
- Full details: www.thecursed.co.uk
Spooky Secret Island - Royal Gunpowder Mills
- Saturday 27th October 2012 – Sunday 4th November 2012
- Open daily from 10am – 5.00pm (except for 3 & 4 November when open at 12 noon)
- Every day is Halloween for Autumn half term week. Dr Gore takes over in the Mad Lab to conduct gruesome experiments while the rest of the site is haunted by ghosts and witches. The weekend of 27-28 October also includes our evening Ghost Walk, featuring gruesome tales from the dark and dangerous history of the site with spooky effects to scare you to out of your wits.
- Royal Gunpowder Mills Secret Island, Waltham Abbey, EN9 1JY
- Advance Booking Essential - Booking is Online Only.
- Full event details and booking: www.royalgunpowdermills.com
Halloween Fright Night Party
- For Adults only
- The Rivenhall Hotel, Witham CM8 3HB
- Saturday 27th October 2012 (7pm to midnight)
- ‘Come and join us for this spooktacular event’ The perfect excuse for all you adults to dress up as your favourite scary character, from Morticia Adams to Freddie Krueger!
- Details: http://www.rivenhallhotel.com/page/events/
Last Year’s Halloween Events:
We have not been informed if these events are happening again this year, however, it is likely that most of the venues will be doing something similar, so feel free to give them a call.
Danbury Country Park – Pumpkin Carving
- To be confirmed for 2011
- Nature Club: Carve a Halloween Pumpkin
- Carve a pumpkin all tools and pumpkins provided. Be creative and carve a Halloween witch or spooky cat in a pumpkin. Children are asked to bring along an adult to help with the tricky sticky bits!
- Contact: 01245 222350
- Danbury Country Park, Woodhill Road, Danbury, Essex
Thorndon Country Park Family Hallowe’en Fun
- To be confirmed for 2011
- Join us for our traditional Hallowe’en activities and a candle lit walk in the woods. Suitable for ages 7 years and under. Booking essential as places are limited. Time: 4.30pm at the Countryside Centre, Thorndon North.
- Cost: a donation per child is requested (adults free).
- Contact: 01277 232944.