Essex has some great fishing spots. While big lake fishing opportunities are relatively few and far between, there are many excellent smaller lakes, rivers, canals and reservoirs where you can fish.
The River Chelmer and River Cam are good spots for course fishing and Hanningfield Reservoir is a fantastic location for boat fishing. If you wish to try your hand at fly fishing then get in touch with Hanningfield Fly Fishing.
Stillwater Coarse Fishing
- A Complex of eight Lakes a total of 53 Acres catering for both Trout and Coarse Anglers
- Chigborough Road, Heybridge, Maldon, CM9 4RE
- 01621 857368
- 5 lakes, day tickets, Carp, Bream, Rudd, Perch, Tench, Roach and more.
- Flex Meadow, The Pinnacles, Harlow, CM19 5UA
- 01279 454528 or 0780 0532318
- Four very well stocked lakes, with a large 11 acre lake. Day Tickets,
- Alresford, Nr Colchester, CO7 8JB
- 01932 583 630
- 4 lakes, each heavily stocked with large fish and a diverse range of species. Anglers lodge with views across the countryside.
- Rectory Lane, Battlesbridge, SS11 7QR
- 07798 902315
- Bentley is a 3.5 acre 40 year old lake which sits nestled in the Essex countryside.
- Mores Lane, Pilgrims Hatch, Brentwood, CM14 5RU
- 07939 074089
Forty Acre Plantation Lake
- Forty Acre Plantation fishing lakes (depths up to 16ft) are set in the peaceful surroundings of 132 acres of woodland. The main lake (3 acres) stocks a good range of fish, including Common Carp, Mirror, Barble & Cat Fish.
- Goatsmoor Lane, Stock, CM4 9RS
- 01277 653 258 / 07949 478441
Tylers Common Fishery
- Four excellent lakes, Disabled access, Toilets, Food available,
- Nags Head Lane, RM14 1TS (just NE of Romford)
- 07961 803289
- Access to the 800 metres of the River Chelmer and also a three-acre farm lake
- Ulting Lane, Ulting, CM9 6QB
- For info and bookings contact Andy Brew 07730 482170 or Gary Sparks 07763315577
Mill Barn Coarse Fishery
- A five lake complex set in the peaceful Wakering countryside in the South East corner of Essex. Regular matches.
- Halfway House, Common Road, Great Wakering, SS3 0BX
- 01702 216170 / 07721 053728
Lake John Fishery
- Lake John Fishery is one the most reputable fisheries in Essex. The Angling Times rates as a premier silver fish venue. 2 lakes both mixed fishery’s.
- 2 the Nightingales, Aimes Green, Galley Hill, Waltham Abbey, EN9 2BJ
- Bookings: Karen 07958 938152
- Enquiries: Colin 07958 938153
Brook Farm Fishery
- Leisure coarse fishing in Essex at its best. Night fishing, fly fishing, fishing matches.
- Brook Farm Murthering Lane, Romford, RM4 1HL
- 01277 372112
Oakford Farm Fishery
- 3 lakes, well stocked with carp, tench, bream, golden orfe, roach and rudd.
- Nounsley Road, Nounsley, Hatfield Peverel, Chelmsford, CM3 2NG
- 01245 380 802 / 07887 522 290
- A specimen carp lake, a match lake and two silver fish lakes offering superb coarse and carp fishing.
- Mill Lane, Clavering, CB11 4RL
- 01799 550261
- Seasonal fly fishing from both the waterside and boats is allowed.
- Giffords Lane, Chelmsford, CM3 8HX
- 0845 155 0236
- More info: Hanningfield Reservoir – Fishing, Bird Watching, Walking and Nature Tours
Church View Fisheries
- 2 lakes in 25 acres of private, peaceful, picturesque woodland.
- Blackmore Road, Fryerning, Ingatestone, Essex, CM4 0NW
- 07846 520634
- 7 acre fishery has stocked with prime carp and tench. Night fishing. All Day Tickets must be purchased in advance from Stanford Tackle Centre
- Wharf Road, Stanford Le Hope, SS17 0EQ
- 01932 583 630
Birds Green Fishery
- 4 well stocked fishing lakes offering both day and night fishing. Fishing lodge cafe, tackle shop and fishery office.
- Tile House Farm, Birds Green, Ongar, CM5 0PN
- 01277 899645 / 01277 899007
- 2 lakes. Carp, tench, bream, roach and chub. No floating baits allowed. Lots of ducks and geese.
- Ingatestone Road, Highwood, Chelmsford
- 01277 352404
Little Easton Manor Fishery
- Carp, Perch, Pike, Roach, Rudd
- Park Road, Little Easton, Dunmow, CM6 2JN (off the B184)
- 01371 872857
A12 Cuton Lakes
- Specialised carp angler lakes. Night Fishing, Match Fishing, Coarse Fishing. Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (except Christmas).
- Brook End Road South, Chelmer Village, Chelmsford, CM2 6NX
- 01245 461 651 / 0845 643 2426 / 07946 847 703
- http://www.a12lakes.co.uk/ (NB. site tries to download a file)
- Main lake and Valley Lakes. Both lakes contain over 150+ 20lbs, along with 10 different 30s up to 37lb+.
- Ingatestone, Rayne Lodge, Rayne Road, Braintree
- 01277 352245 / 07816 134699
- The lakes hold Mirrors & Commons as well as Bream, Tench, Roach, Rudd and Crucians.
- Fennes Road, Bocking, Braintree, CM7 5LB
- 01376 323285
Crow Green Farm Fisheries
- 3 lakes in 16 acres with large carp and catfish, rudd, roach, perch, tench, bream, chub, barbel and large eels.
- Days Lane, Brentwood, CM15 9SL
- 01277 375172
- The ownership of the venue has now changed and it is no longer a day
ticket venue. Wharf Pool remains a Carp syndicate and the former day ticket lake is currently closed to the public while it undergoes some much needed maintenance.
- Wharf Road, Stanford Le Hope, SS17 0EG
Chelmsford Town Centre – Fishing on the River Can and River Chelmer
You can fish on some parts of the River Can and Chelmer in Chelmsford. There are paltforms on which to fish. The areas where fishing is allowed and not allowed are marked on this map: