OK, over the years we have reviewed many Essex events but still many people are unsure of what Essex has to offer. To Essex Portal has decided to create a list of the 100 best things to do in Essex.
Best Things for Children
- Marsh Farm, South Woodham Ferrers – great place to introduce kids to farm animals
- The Discovery Centre in Great Notley – Outdoor park with many climbing frames and play areas for children.
- Colne Valley Railway – Sometimes they do Thomas the Tank Engine shows, but good fun whenever it is open.
- Walton Pier – an excellent pier whcih includes Pirate Pete’s Adventureland soft play zone.
Best Things for Families
- Tropical Wings in South Woodham Ferrers – A huge collection of rare and beautiful butterflies, all flying free in a giant green house. Plus some animals outside too.
- Colchester Zoo – A great day out at one of the best zoos in the country.
- Sealife Adventure in Southend – see dolphins, sharks, seals plus many other sea creatures
Best Things for Men
- Thorndon Park Golf Club – beautiful golf course surrounded by ancient oak woodland with excellent clubhouse.
- The Great War Experience – Indoor Paintball in Great Baddow, Chelmsford
Best Things for Women
- Greenwoods Hotel, Spa and Retreat, Stock – luxury spa with many pamper weekend offers.
- Crowne Plaza Resort Colchester – another place to be pampered all weekend!
- Frinton-on-Sea – excellent sandy beaches in a quiet and unspoilt town.
- Walton-on-the-Naze – more sandy beachs with a great pier for those that like some amusements
- Leigh on Sea – nice beach in south Essex. Easiest to get to on the train.
- Read our Essex beach guide.
Best Things for Tourists
- Audley End House and Park in Saffron Walden – fantastic example of a stately home
- Layer Marney Tower, near Colchester – magnificent home for home built by Henry VIII
- Kelvedon Hatch Nuclear Bunker – visit the nuclear bunker that was ready to house the government in the event of a nuclear strike.
- Hyde Hall Gardens, Rettendon – RHS gardens with tea rooms.
Best Special Weekends
- V Festival – held every August in Chelmsford’s Hylands Park, a fantastic music festival
- Southend Festival of the Air – Southend Air Show, usually in May
- Maldon Mud Race – held in the New Year, people come from all over the world to race through Maldon mud.
Best Nights Out
- The Rendezvous Casino, Southend. Spend the night drinking, eating and gambling.
Best Places to Eat
- The Blue Strawberry Bistrot, Hatfield Peveral. Great food all week.
- The Mistley Thorn, Mistley. Popular coastal inn with excellent food.
- Junipers Restaurant, Clarice House, Colchester – part of a spa, this is also one of the best restaurants in Essex.
- Crofters, Witham. An award winning wine bar in Witham with excellent food.
Best Places to Drink
- The Woolpack, Chelmsford. Voted Local Pub of the Year for 2011.
- The Viper, Mill Green, Ingatestone, CM4 0PT. Tel. 01277 352010. Excellent little pub with fine ales.
- Thatchers Arms, Mount Bures, Colchester. Won Colchester CAMRA pub of the year.
- New Bell, Harwich. Tendring’s Pub of the Year
Best Places Music Venues
- Brentwood Centre – now the most popular music venues in Essex that features many big acts. Many other major evens too.
- High Barn, Braintree & Great Dunmow. Folk, rock, acoustic and world music venue in the heart of Essex.
Best Physical Fun
- Essex Outdoor Activities – quad bikes, high ropes, archery and more. Fun for all the family.
Want to be added to the list? Get in touch today!