There was a time when the only cinema in Essex worth visiting was the Odeon at Lakeside. For a while in the 1980’s my home town, Chelmsford, did not have a cinema at all after the Select on Anchor Street closed down (and that was a flea pit of a cinema if there ever was one).
However, there has been a resurgence in cinemas, mostly due to Odeon returning to power, and this means that Essex has many great cinemas to chose from. For example, the Chelmsford Odeon (pictured) has gone from strength to strength. It is just off the “Odeon Roundabout” in Chelmsford, close the location of the original Odeon cinema that was demolished in the 1980’s when the rise of VHS led to the collapse of many cinemas.
At Chelmsford you now get hearing induction loops in all screens, audio descriptions in 2 screens. Chelmsford cinema can seat 1395 people at once in its 8 screens. Most modern Odeon cinemas support similar capicities. As you can see from the photo there is also a Costa coffee at the Odeon on Chelmsford, bringing quality drinks and refreshments to your viewing and also providing somewhere for a little post-film chat with friends.
Odeon Cinemas in Essex – call 0871 22 44 007 to book for any:
- Chatham, Leviathon Way, Chatham, ME4 4LL
- Chelmsford Odeon, King’s Head Walk, Chelmsford
- Colchester Odeon, 29-31 Head Street Town Centre, Colchester CO1 1NH
- Southend Odeon, Southend on Sea, Essex. SS1 1TJ
- South Woodford, 60-64 High Road, Woodford, E18 2QL
- West Thurrock, Lakeside Retail Park, West Thurrock, RM20 3WW
Cineworld Multiplex Cinemas in Essex
One of the best extras from Cineworld is their magazine. They provide an online version of it and it covers all the latest and upcoming releases. Cineworld offers monthly subscriptions for film fans that means cheaper films. Also if you sign up on their website (join myCineworld) you get a 10% discount when booking films online.
- Cineworld Multiplex Cinema, Bishops Stortford
- Cineworld Cinema, Braintree, CM77 8YH
- Cineworld Cinema, Harlow, CM20 2DA
- Cineworld Multiplex Cinema, Ilford IG1 1BP
Independent Cinemas in Essex
As well as the major cinema chains there are some great independents in Essex. Many show films just once a week or over the weekend only. Contact the cinemas for details of check their websites where available.
- The Rio, Burnham-on-Crouch. Previously called The Electric Kinema, built in 1910. Booking on phone only: 01621 782027
- Chelmsford Film Club. Meet Tuesdays and Wednesdays at the Cramphorn Theatre. Fairfield Road, Chelmsford CM1 1JG.
- Chelmsford Civic Theatre. Shows one film each week at the Cramphorn Theatre. See www.chelmsford.gov.uk/eventcattype/theatre-and-film/film for listings.
- Movie Starr, Canvey Island. They also have a bowling alley and bar. SS8 7DN. Tel 0126 869 5000. www.moviestarr.uk.com
- Flicks at Clacton. 2 screens on Pier Avenue in Clacton, CO15 1NJ. 01255 429 627.
- Saffron Screen. A cinema within the High School in the town centre. They also host an annual 3 week film festival. Saffron Walden, CB11 4UH. 01799 500238. www.saffronscreen.com