Southend has seen an average increase in house prices of 15% over the last year, according to the Halifax. Southend is a popular seaside tow, and has the potential to rival the best of the UK’s traditional seaside resorts.
Across the UK as a whole house prices have managed a very slight rise in the last year of just 1%. This is certainly better than a fall, although some areas in the UK have experienced a reduction in prices. Areas such as Craigavon in Northern Ireland and Wishaw in Scotland have suffered the most in 2012.
Towns within the London commuter zone have seen the best rises in the last year. Southend is just 45 minutes out of the City of London where a vast proportion of banking and finance jobs are located. The combination of the good rail services, seaside town and some good schools makes Southend a very favourable town to move to now.
Southend has always been a cheaper commuter town with regards to house prices – towns such as Chelmsford, Brentwood and Ingatestone are some of the most expensive in Essex. However, if trends continue, Southend could soon be one of the most sought after postcodes in the Essex.
On the opposite side of London, Basingstoke in Hampshire has also seen a big increase in prices, with properties up by 14.7% in 2012.
Southend’s Good Schools
Southend has 2 excellent secondary schools:
- Southend High School for Boys, which received an Oustanding status from Ofsted.
- Southend High School for Girls, which is an academy grammar school
Find Houses For Sale
Southend has all the major Estate Agents plus some independents;
- Blackshaw Homes – 01702 417364
- Century21 Estate Agents – 01702 220750
- Bairstow Eves – 01702 272716
- Essex Property Centre – 01702 602888
- Haart – 01702 342193
Find out more about Southend-on-Sea
- www.visitsouthend.co.uk – Southend-on-Sea tourism website with events and info.
- www.southend.gov.uk – Borough Council website with news and information, included a page on Southend Pier.
- www.southendunited.co.uk – Southend’s football club – football fans can watch top quality football without having to travel!
- www.southendairport.com – Southend Airport (officially “London Southend Airport”) which flies to many European destinations such as Amsterdam, Dublin, Belfast, Malaga, Dresden, Jersey, Mallorca, Venice, Geneva and Ibiza, as well as Newquay.
- www.adventureisland.co.uk – A great place to take the family, next to Southend Pier.
Image credit: By Nilfanion. Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right.