In addition to Essex Portal there are many directories that cover specific towns and districts in Essex. These directories are a great way to find local businesses and services – businesses often appear here before Google ranks them, so search the directories as well as the Internet search engines.
- Billericay: http://www.billericayessex.co.uk/ – local directory plus sports, news and history.
- Brentwood: http://www.brentwoodessex.co.uk/ – over 400 businesses in Brentwood, from builders to wedding planners.
- Chelmsford: http://chelmsford.breezedirectory.com/Home.aspx – Chelmsford City Council’s own business directory.
- Chelmsford: http://www.touchchelmsford.com/ – an independent directory for Chelmsford businesses and services.
- Colchester: http://www.colchestercompany.co.uk/ – Business directory with classifieds and job listings too.
- Colchester: http://www.yourcolchester.co.uk/ – find out where to go, what’s on, local businesses & services and if you’re visiting Colchester, hotels & where to stay.
- Dunmow: http://www.dunmow.biz/ – local business and services in the Dunmow area.
- Great Baddow: http://greatbaddow.org.uk/ – community site which lists local businesses and social groups.
- Hadleigh: http://www.hadleigh.net – A comprehensive guide to shopping in Hadleigh plus some traders and businesses.
- Harlow: http://www.harlowtown.com/ – founded in 2012, a relatively new directory for Harlow.
- Maldon: http://www.maldon-town.com/ – business listings plus events and community services.
- Rayne: http://www.rayne-info.org.uk/business.shtml – from driving instructors to loft conversions with information on local community groups too.
- Shenfield: http://www.shenfield.org.uk/business.htm – a small web directory for Shenfield with a good section for tradesmen.
- Walton-on-the-Naze: http://www.walton-on-the-naze.com – Focus is on accommodation with trade listings below.
- West Mersea: http://www.west-mersea.co.uk/business-directory – local business and traders with a focus on community groups and leisure.
If we have missed your local business guides please let us know by adding the details in the comments below.