Why Join a Slimming Club?
The NHS reported 2011 that people who attended a slimming club lost twice as much weight over a year as those who received the standard advice from their GP to eat healthier and exercise more. The report followed the publication of a research paper in The Lancet.
“The average amount of weight lost at 12 months was 5.06 kg for those in the commercial programme, compared to 2.25 kg for those receiving standard care.” NHS, 2011.
It is worth nothing that the study only compared Weight Watchers with “standard care” – which means no guidance beyond a GP giving some health tips. Many fitness clubs also give excellent results. Other studies have also shown that weight loss clubs are one of the best ways to lose weight.
There are many well-known weight loss groups operating in Essex. Here are some of the classes that are held by the big three groups – Rosemary Conley, Slimming World, and Weight Watchers, plus some new, smaller clubs.
The Rosemary Conley Diet And Fitness Clubs are now one of the top 3 weight loss clubs in the UK, along with Slimming World and Weight Watchers. What started as a small club she started running after she lost weight has grown into a national franchise. There are now several Rosemary Conley clubs in Essex, all run by one individual – Ros Conway (0208 5001899).
- Church Langley Community Centre, Harlow. Monday eve.
- Stewards School Gym, Harlow. Thurs eve.
- Epping Primary School, Tues eve.
- Loughton Methodist Church, Wed morning
- Roding Valley High School, Loughton, Wed eve.
- St Michaels Church, Loughton. Wed eve.
She also runs 2 classes in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfordshire.
Slimming World have clubs in most towns now and groups are run by local representatives. Information is subject to change frequently so check their website, www.slimmingworld.com, before heading out. Currently there many clubs in Essex. This list is by no means complete. Always call first.
- Mayflower Hall – Mon – Jess 07827 297405
- The Day Care Centre – Tues – Suzanne 01268 416099
- Hanakins Farm Community Centre – Wed – Kerry 01268 544995
- Christian Link Comm Church – Thurs – Suzanne 01268 416099
- St Peters Church Hall, Hutton: Mon – Clare 01268 478479
- Chelmsford, The Royal British Legion – Wed eve – Daniel 01376 500954
- Great Baddow Millennium Community Centre – Mon and Tue – Lucy 01245 262457, and Samantha 01245 266422
- Great Baddow, The Church of The Holy Name – Mon eve – Lucy 01245 262457
- Chelmer Village Hall – Thur – Emma 01245 464940
- Springfield Community Centre + Springfield Parish Centre – Mon + Tue – Clare 01621 840461
- Broomfield Community Centre – Tues eve, Marie 01376 500954
Clacton On Sea
- St Pauls Church Hall: Tues (morning and eve) – Gemma 01255 243019
- Brotherhood Hall: Wed + Thurs – Carole 01255 433930
- Coppins Community Hall, Jaywick: Mon – Shirley 01255 821567
- Old Heath Community Centre: Mon – Carla 01206 679997
- St Andrews Infant School, Greenstead: Tue – Carol 07946 603939
- The Arena: Thur – Joy 01787 229028
- Acorn Hall, Parsons Heath: Thur – Carol 07946 603939
- Village Hall: Tue – Geraldine 01245 325426
- Little Baddow Memorial Hall: Wed – Emma 01621 853889
- The Church Langley Comm Assoc: Tue – Donna 07920 259071
- Tha Maypole Club: Wed – Kirsty 07824 649434
- Mulberry Green Hall, Old Harlow: Mon – Ian 01279 436819
Southend On Sea
- The Cornerstone – Tues – Lisa 07428 717950
- Methodist Church – Thur – Beccy 01702 619750
- Shoeburyness High School: Thur – Debbie 01702 548380
Westcliff On Sea
- Balmoral Community Centre – Wed – Andrew 01702 512878; Thur – Kevin 07889 745089
- St John Fisher Church Hall: Thur and Fri – Helen 01702 300856
- Writtle Community Association: Wed – Lesley 01245 226704
Weight Watchers also have group all over Essex. Full names are not provided. Details available via their website (www.weightwatchers.co.uk), just search for your town and Essex. Here are a selection of the groups currently running. More are available through their website.
- Braintree Leisure Centre. Tue eve. Sandra M.
- Town Hall. Wed eve. Alison R.
- Town Hall. Thurs AM. Deborah C.
- Willowbrook Primary School. Tue eve. Robert B
- Brentwood County High School. Wed eve. Marcelle R.
- St Peters C of E Church . Thur AM. Jackie P.
- The Baptist Church, Victoria Road South. Wed Lunch. Simone C.
- Nuffield Health Fitness & Well Being, Riverside Retail Park. Tue eve. Tanya B
- Christchurch Church Hall, New London Road. Thur morn and eve. Sandra M.
- Springfield Park Baptist Church, Springfield. Sat a.m. Dawn O.
- Great Baddow Millennium Community Centre, Tue am. Sandra M.
- Alton Park Junior School. Mon eve. Beverley B.
- Friends Meeting House, Granville Road. Tue AM. Carmel P.
- The Snooker Club, Valley Road. Tues and Weds eve. Deoborah C. and Carmel P.
- Arena Leisure Centre. Thur eve. Sue M.
- Colchester Town Hall. Thur AM. Alison R.
- St Stephens Centre. Mon eve. Janice A.
- Belle Vue Social Club. Sun AM. Janice A.
- St Barnabas Church Hall. Wed eve, Deoborah C.
- Greenstead Community Centre. Thur AM. Nannette S.
- Highwoods Primary School. Wed eve. Beverley W.
- St Johns & Highwoods Community Centre. Thur AM. Louise W.
- Plume School, Fambridge Rd. Mon eve. Simone C.
- Maldon Town Football Club. Wed AM. Sandra M.
- Energie Fitness For Women, High St. Thurs AM and lunch. Jackie P.
- St Bernards High School & Arts College, Westcliff. Mon AM. Janet W.
- Ekco Social & Sports Club, Sat AM. Paulette L.
- United Reformed Church, Newlands Street. Tue Lunch. Sandra M.
- Bramston Sports Centre, Bridge St. Wed eve. Hayley S.
- Spring Lodge Community Centre. Sat AM. Janet W.
Lighter Life is a growing weight loss group that provide personal consultations but also have some weekly group sessions. Remember, the group sessions are the key to success. Emphasis with Lighter Life is on using their own Foodpacks (meal replacements).
They have counsellors in Chelmsford, Billericay, Benfleet, Ongar and Harlow.. All can be contacted direct through the Lighter Life website (www.lighterlife.com/find-counsellor-results) or by calling Lighter Life on 0800 2 988988.
“Primary care referral to a commercial provider for weight loss treatment versus standard care: a randomised controlled trial” by Dr Susan A Jebb PhD. et al. The Lancet, Volume 378, Issue 9801, Pages 1485 – 1492, 22 October 2011
“Effectiveness of slimming clubs tested” NHS Choices. 08/09/2011